Saturday, April 10, 2010

Marley and Me -- 2008


Marley & Me
(2008)

Rated PG thematic elements, some suggestive content and language
My Rating: 4 Stars

Owen Wilson
Jennifer Aniston
Eric Dane
Alan Arkin

John and Jenny Grogan are newlyweds, trying to make a start on their life together. First, they move to Florida. They find a lovely house. They both get good jobs. What's next on the list? John is afraid it's going to be kids. He doesn't feel ready for kids yet.


“Get her a dog. That will help keep her mothering instinct under the wraps for awhile.”

On this advice, Marley, the “world's worst dog” enters the Grogan's home. What ensues is as good or better than Beethoven, but with Owen Wilson thrown in.

This is probably one of the sweetest movies I've seen in awhile. For a secular film, this story had more biblical principles than most Christian films do. I really enjoyed the story about the Grogans... how they adjusted to having children, moving, job changing, etc, etc... all with Marley, three bounds ahead of them. The funny parts are really funny and the sad parts are really sad. I was laughing and almost crying and relating to the story the whole way.

What I Liked:
1: This story could have happened to anyone in North America and I'm sure everyone in the world can relate to a certain extent. Very well done.
2: The acting was marvelous. Bravo!
3: I love the relationship between John and Jenny. The highs and lows are there for you to see and learn from. A lot of truths were there for the viewers to learn from as well.
4: The relationship between the John, Jenny and the kids. At one point, Jenny decides to quit her job because, if she was, “going to miss out on something in life” it sure wasn't going to be her children. “I made a commitment and sure it may be harder than I thought it was going to be but that's ok.”
5: How John wrote his columns about himself and the family (that includes dog).

What I Didn't Like:
1: The almost sex scenes. If they hadn't been in there, I could have let my siblings see this film. I wish I could have.
2: The language. Not too bad but there is some.
3: Beach scenes. Lots of bikinis.

I highly recommend this film. It is a beautiful story that you don't often get to experience with Hollywood.

I would love to read the book this film is based on.


No comments: