Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Miss Congeniality 2 -- 2005


Miss Congeniality 2
Armed and Fabulous
(2005)

Rated PG for violence, crude jokes and sexual references
My Rating: 3 stars

Sandra Bullock
Regina King
Enrique Murciano
William Shatner
Ernie Hudson
Heather Burns
Diedrich Bader
Treat Williams

I wasn't terribly impressed with this movie for several reasons but the main one was the FBI sequences seemed fake. I kept thinking, “This is a movie. This so would not happen in real life.” That being said, I am the first to admit that I am fairly ignorant when it comes to the real FBI world. I am only comparing this film to others I've seen that featured the FBI (S.W.A.T, Shooter) and other agencies (Mission Impossible 3, Sum Of All Fears).

Summary:
After her heroics at the Miss United States Beauty Pageant, Special Agent Gracie Hart (Sandra Bullock) is too well known to safely participate in field work. In fact, she almost got herself and her partners killed while on a mission because a bystander recognized Gracie as an FBI agent from the talk shows and magazine covers that had featured her. On top of that blow, her boyfriend breaks up with her, leaving Gracie feeling lost and bewildered. So when her boss offers her a career of being the new face for the FBI, Gracie accepts. Awkward, gangly, Special Agent GS13 turns into a glamorous and famous beauty that isn't allowed do anything that is not packaged and sealed decorum.

Right about this moment, enters Sam Fuller (Regina King) who just transferred from Chicago because of anger management issues. She's tough, mean and ready to beat up anyone in her way. She has a very low opinion of Gracie Hart and Gracie Hart has similar feelings for Sam Fuller. Nonetheless, to their dismay, Sam is appointed Gracie's bodyguard.

With her new glamor and list of rules, Gracie is supposed to be on magazine covers, not field duty but when her friends Miss United States and Stan Fields get kidnapped, she can't help herself. And what happens next is a fairly amusing turn of events.


What I Liked:
1: Regina King is one of those wonderful actors who brings a smile to my face. She's the reason this film went from 2 stars to 3.
2: I liked the unglamorous Gracie Hart. The snort when she laughs, the ratty hair, the unprofessional quality about her and the dedication to her job. She's endearing.
3: I liked watching Jeff Foreman (Enrique Marciano) mature.
4: The humor was often very funny.
5: I love how they use Dolly Parton for the Dolly Parton scene.

What I Didn't Like:
1: The sexual/crude humor.
2: The dress was pretty... well, typical for stars. :-P
3: I didn't like how they abruptly went from Gracie being herself to glamorous. Even though they made it a point to inform the view ten months had passed, the change didn't seem realistic.
4: Parts of the movie seemed completely unrealistic.
5: The language. (There was not very much.)

A movie doesn't have to be realistic. In fact, if you're just looking for entertainment, you might enjoy this film. A lot. It's well done and funny.

My favorite lines are:
“Please don't make me do something unladylike!”
“I don't usually like to do this but...” ::gun cocks::
“She's too young to die and I'm not as old as I look!”


No comments: