Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Steve Kaufman's Acoustic Stomp -- 2009

Acoustic Stomp
(2009)

Steve Kaufman

My Rating: 5 Stars

Songs:
Interstate Rag
Mr. Bojangles
Maid Behind the Bar – Sligo Maid – The Rising Sun
The Chicken Cordon Blues
Dill Pickle Rag
The Lament for Lowrie O'Da Lea
I'm Goin' Fishin'
Laura's Theme
The Acoustic Stomp
Windy and Warm
The First Century Reel
Crazy Creek
When I Grow Too Old To Dream
Blackberry Rag
Cold Frosty Morn – Rickett's Hornpipe – June Apple
So You Want To Play The Guitar?

Musicians:
Steve Kaufman – guitar
Rusty Holloway – bass

In my opinion, this is Steve Kaufman's best CD yet. He just keeps getting better! :-) There is such variety on this recording... he gets into it fast with songs like “Crazy Creek” and “Interstate Rag”. Then, he takes it down and swoops you away with something beautiful like “The Lament For Lowrie O'Da Lea” (which happens to be my favorite song on the CD). You also get to hear his rendition of the parody “So You Want to Play the Guitar” and the very fun song “The Chicken Cordon Blues”.

I was amazed at how different each song sounded, even though I was hearing the same instruments and musicians. My personal favorites on this recording are, “The Lament For Lowrie O'da Lea”, “Mr. Bojangles”, “Windy and Warm”, “First Century Reel” and “When I Grow Too Old To Dream”. But I like it as a whole because of how he arranged the songs. Btw, the rags rock. It beats me how they sound so good on a guitar. There is a reason Steve Kaufman's music is so well known and liked down in the States... and now it's up to some of us fans to spread his talent across Canada.

Make sure and check out the bass solo on “Blackberry Rag”.

No comments: