Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hancock -- 2008


Hancock
(2008)

Unrated
My Rating: 3 Stars

Will Smith
Jason Bateman
Charlize Theron
Eddie Marsan

“I'm afriad I'm gonna have to say 'no' to dat. I'm really trying to turn over a new leaf.”

Ever get tired of those perfect, eye candy super heroes? Look no further! Here is a guy who is definitely not your typical Superman.

Summary:
Hancock is a completely misunderstood hero. Well, he is a little sarcastic. And a drunk. Oh... maybe reckless and arrogant. But regardless, the poor guy is hated by the public and if they had the chance, they'd kill or incarcerate him.

And then, he saves Ray Embrey's life. Ray is not only thankful in word but in deed, and as a idealistic publicist, he thinks he can help Hancock change his life.

“Don't break the building, don't break the building, don't break the building!”

What happens next is heartwarming as the superhero learns to be polite, gentle ... and basically, more like Superman (but infinitely more human [therefore, more lovable], of course). Then, just as life seems to be turning around, Hancock finds a woman that has similar powers to himself. And not only that, she alone has the key to the past that Hancock cannot remember.

What I Liked:
1: The twists in this story. It kept me sitting on the edge of my seat. :-)
2: The humor. I laughed out loud over this movie.
3: The acting. Will Smith and Jason Bateman are like comedians together... but there are also some very sweet friendship moments that I found endearing.
4: The parts in the jail seemed very realistic (my limited knowledge is books and films).
5: When they did have a sex scene, it was pretty low key... you didn't see anything.
6: Hancock is such a perfect mixture of superhero/human with struggles that you really find yourself liking him.

What I Didn't Like:
1: The sex scenes.
2: The language.
3: At one point, Hancock does something to two guys (they rather deserved it, I suppose) that I will not tell you about but was disgusting. I didn't think it helped the movie... although it kind of furthered what his personality was like.

No comments: