Thursday, May 20, 2010

Monsters Inc. -- 2001


Monsters Inc.
(2001)

A Pixar Film
Rated G
My Rating: 5 Stars

John Goodman
Billy Crystal
Mary Gibbs
Steve Buscemi
James Coburn
Jennifer Tilly
Bob Peterson
John Ratzenberger

This is probably my 2nd favorite Pixar animated film. I can't even begin to list why I like film so well... there are just too many reasons.

Summary:
There is a place out there called Monstropolis where monsters live. They look a little different than humans, but actually, they're not that different than we are. They have cities like we do, with electricity, cars, radios, factories, etc, etc. But they power their cities a little differently than we do. They power them with children's screams. Remember that monster that was in your closet when you were a kid? Well, it was real.

James P. Sullivan (Sulley) is Monsters Inc.'s best scarer. In fact, he and his wise-cracking buddy Mike Wazoski (you think he was a Pole?) are on their way to beating the all time scare record when the unthinkable happens: a child escapes from her bedroom into the factory. It wasn't poor Sulley's fault but he happened to let her in. And since he and Sulley share a place and are best friends, poor, poor Mike is pulled into an adventure that he didn't ask for.

Together with Boo (Sulley named her after her favorite expression), the two uncover a plot that stuns them and will hurt the world and ethics of Monstropolis if they can't stop it time. And while doing so, can they save Boo? (“And what about us? Doesn't that matter?!” asks Mike.)

“I don't know but it's been said, I love scaring kids in bed.”

What I liked:
1: 100% of this film.
2: The story... very unique, clean and sooo sweet. :-) I love Sulley! I love Boo! I love Mike Wazoski!
3: The voices/actors are fantastic... but I have a special affection for Billy Crystal after watching him play Miracle Max in The Princess Bride. ;-)
4: The score is a mixture of jazz and klezmer. I can hear a faint echo of Fiddler on the Roof, but not enough to be irritating... it's very nice. :-)
5: The humor is “laugh out loud funny”... it was just my type. Brightens my day whenever I watch.
6: The romance. It made me laugh and smile... because it's slightly realistic. Lol.
7: How Mike and Sulley both mature and broaden their horizons.
I am so buying this movie when I get a chance. :-)

No comments: